On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 the Senate’s Committee on Environment and Public Works Subcommittee on Transportation and Infrastructure will hold a hearing titled “Leveraging Federal Funding; Innovative Solutions for Infrastructure.”
The stated purpose of the hearing is for Senators to examine the need for more public sector funding and private sector financing in the Federal Highway Program. To this end, the Subcommittee has scheduled the following individuals to testify on this topic:
- Eric Garcetti (Mayor, City of Los Angeles; Chair of U.S. Conference of Mayors Infrastructure Task Force)
- Tim J. Gatz (Executive Director, Oklahoma Turnpike Authority)
- Geoffrey S. Yarema (Nossaman LLP)
- Kevin DeGood (Director of Infrastructure Policy, Center for American Progress)
- Aubrey L. Layne Jr. (Secretary of Transportation, Commonwealth of Virginia)
The timing of this hearing could not be more appropriate. Just earlier today, USDOT Secretary Elaine Chao announced at a U.S. Chamber of Commerce event that President Trump will unveil details on the Administration’s $1 trillion infrastructure proposal in the next several weeks, which will kick off the Administration’s collaboration with Congress on this topic. According to Secretary Chao, the Administration’s proposal will contain $200 billion in taxpayer dollars to leverage $1 trillion worth of overall investment through public private partnerships.
Click here for more information on the subcommittee hearing, including details regarding time and location.